UpRise Festival 2011 : Community Is Home is a festival for Peace & Unity. Taking place in Dalston, London on Sunday 25th September 2011 (free!) 11am-11.30pm. Featuring a bumper selection of Live Music, Art, Film, Word, Theatre, Dance, Workshops, Walk, Debate, DJs, Positivity and Parties! UpRise is housed accrosss fourteen amazing venues and artful/unusual spaces within a short walk radius of Dalston Junction and Dalston Kingsland stations.
“We hope that events such as UpRise will contribute to hastening the day we’ll speak not so much of people of colour, but about colourful people”.
(Doreen Lawrence OBE).
Mercury nominated Ty hosts; Eska, Baby Sol, Aruba Red, Under The Driftwood Tree, Cynikal, The Fontanelles, The London Jazz Orchestra, The Hip-Hop Shakespeare Company, Fiona Bevan, Marcina Arnold, LyricL, Poeticat, Kaya, Raymond Antrobus, Simon Murray, Mellow Baku, David Lee Morgan, Power to the Pupils, All The Queens Ravens, Rachel Rose Reid, GREEDS, Kal Lavelle, DC SCRIBBLA, She Makes War, Ashleigh Ashley, Femi Martin, Leeto Thale, Kinsi Abdulleh, Funmi Adewole, So’Fly Music Group and more plus after parties; Numbi at Open The Gate/Jam at Passing Clouds.
Updates – http://facebook.com/UpRiseFestival * http://twitter.com/uprisefestival * http://uprise.org.uk/
Network in advance at the Facebook event; http://on.fb.me/UpRise_2011
UpRise 2011 highlights the amazing work people are doing to move towards a society with ‘Peace Across The Streets’. London’s true, free, end of summer festival.
1) The Pavement (St. Pauls, London EC4) 11am-2pm insightful walk. 400 years of African-based history http://blackhistorywalks.co.uk/
2) The Patio. Solar powered stage 12-8pm. Live music/DJs and inspirational speakers http:// gillettsquare.org.uk/
3) The Balcony 12–7pm. Art Workshops and gallery. Contribute to the giant washing line! http://london.studioupstairs.org.uk/
4) The Kitchen 12–8pm. (Passing Clouds art/music collective) Drumming and art workshops, films, Peoples Kitchen food http://www.passingclouds.org/
5) The Hall. Art Exhibition on the wall outside Passing Clouds on Richmond Road (off Kingsland Road)
6) The Bookshelf. 12–6pm. http:// centerprisetrust.org.uk/ 12-6pm Talks/readings including 4pm Andrew Ward on 400 years of British Civil Rights
7) The Living Room 12–8pm.Live Music, DJ’s, stalls, poetry workshop at Open The Gate. http://www.openthegate.org.uk/
8) The Basement 12–7pm Medics Sans Frontier exhibit and art exhibitions in the WWII Bunker
9) The Rooftop. 12–8pm. Live music, spoken word, DJs The Dalston Roof Park with Bootstrap, Lyrix Organix, Brazenbunch, Rocklands, and friends – United!
10) The Tent 12–8pm. Theatre, dance, debate and comedy in the Arcola Theatre Tent http://www.arcolatheatre.com/
11) The Garden 11–6pm. Dalston Eastern Curve Garden. Family area, workshops, storytelling, face painting, balloons http://dalstongarden.site11.com/
12) The Wall – Dalston Peace Mural http://londonmuralpreservationsociety.com/murals/Hackney-Peace-Carnival-Mural/
13) The Studio 2–4pm. Hackney Unites hosts discussion in Studio 2 of the Arcola Theatre. http://www.hackneyunites.org.uk/
14) Union City Union. Charity and community stalls at the Vortex Jazz Club http://www.vortexjazz.co.uk/
The campaign & festival are supported by high profile public figures including Meera Syal MBE, Bonnie Greer, Gina Yashere, Ed Sheeran, Jamie Woon, Beardyman, The Noisettes, Andi Osho, Russell Kane, Imran Yusuf, Mark Thomas and Ken Livingstone.
Produced/curated by BrazenBunch. Sponsored by; BrazenBunch, UNISON, SERTUC, The Cooperative Bank, The NUT, GMB Southern Region, Unite the Union, PCS and the Musicians Union.
UpRise is about working together. Contributors to UpRise 2011 include: Arcola Theatre, Black History Walks, Bootstrap, Centerprise, Eastern Curve Garden, Lyrix Organix, Open The Gate, Passing Clouds, Rocklands and featured charities; Medicins Sans Frontieres (Doctors Without Borders) http://www.msf.org.uk/ and the youth led campaign 2 Fingers to Violence http://2fingerstoviolence.com/
Travel; London Transport Zone 2. Many buses/frequent trains. E8 is at the crossroads of East London Line (Dalston Junction) Highbury & Islington/New Cross/West Croydon and North London Line (Dalston Kingsland) Richmond/Kilburn/Camden/Stratford. Info http://www.tfl.gov.uk/